Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She just ended a heat cycle but she is having a discharge.

Customer Question

she just ended a heat cycle but she is having a discharge. there is no odor. I'm not sure what i should do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ezrah and she is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ezrah?
Customer: she has always been a very healthy dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ezrah. How long has it been since her heat period ended? If a few weeks to a few months that discharge can indicate mucometria (mucus in the uterus) or pyometra (pus in the uterus). Pyometra is dangerous particularly if her cervix closes and pus is trapped within the uterus. Please don't hesitate to have that discharge examined by Ezrah's vet, a complete blood count performed to see if her white blood cells are elevated (indicating pyometra) +/- abdominal ultrasound to better understand her uterine health.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.