Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

Dog has diabetes and we give him 6 units every 12 hours

Customer Question

Dog has diabetes and we give him 6 units every 12 hours after food. He also has pancreatitis and almost died about a year ago and that's when we found about the diabetes. He is not wanting to eat again, has had diarrhea 2 times, exactly same symptomsas when got so sick a year ago. Is it ok to give him one boiled chicken tender and then give insulin so pancreas can rest?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Snickers male 18 pound large chihuahua mix 11 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Been eating w/d for a year with no problems just started turning his nose up a few days ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Can't think of anything am hoping to avoid another $5000 vet bill by treating at home. He is a little depressed but no vomiting he did eat chicken with rice yesterday but had to feed by hand.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 10 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Snow and I can try to help!
Do not give anything fried, but you can give some boiled or grilled chicken and rice, cottage cheese, plain yogurt. It is generally safe to give a half dose of insulin when they're not eating, but if you can get him to eat a couple of tablespoons go ahead and give him his regular dose.
You can also get some Pepcid over the counter to settle his stomach. You can give 1/2 of a 10mg tablet once daily.
How else can I help?