Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy has mucus coming out of his nose and eye on one

Customer Question

My puppy has mucus coming out of his nose and eye on one side it started when he receive vaccines a week ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scout
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scout?
Customer: Half German and golden retriever
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What color is the discharge?

Is it from both nostrils and eyes?

Any coughing, sneezing, lethargy, or does he feel unwell?

What vaccine did he get? Was one for Kennel cough (that may hay have been given up his nose)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
White to yellow on the left side, he has a weird breathing sounds like he trying to get the stuff out of his nose. They did give him a vaccine in his left nostril
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He doesn't seem tired he's very playful
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His nose is dry, but sounds like it's plugged
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on his signs and how soon after his vaccinations these signs developed, we'd be suspicious that this may be a mild kennel cough infection. This isn't uncommon and is often quite mild (it similar to how people can develop mild flu signs after a flu jab). Of course, there would also be a concern of a possible brewing infection prior to the vaccines that has now gained a foothold due to the immune system being distracted by the vaccines.

In either case, if this is mostly yellow or opaque, then we'd want to ring his vet about antibiotics to help fight this. Otherwise, if the signs are mild and the discharge is mostly clear, then we can monitor and use supportive care for Scout. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam tents’ with him in a dog crate with a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room for him. This can also be done in a small room.

If he sounds congested and is potentially building up mucus within his nostrils that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Again they don't like this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, these signs are telling us that Scout has a mild bacterial upper airway infection which could be directly or indirectly related to the vaccines he has had. If the signs are mild, we can use the above and see if we can get him settled over the next few days. Of course, if its lingering or not settling with the above in the next few days then we'd want to have his vet start antibiotics to help him clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )