Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

2 things, one: possible bladder infection? seems to be

Customer Question

2 things, one: possible bladder infection? seems to be trying to go and not able to. Secondly has a soar he's been licking all day on one of his toes, seems infected. Is above the nail bed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: no, it's after hours. we have no regular vet. called an emergency center they thought if it were bladder try to wait and have his seen tomorrow by regular vet. he is an 11 yr old schnauzer otherwise is great health
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: moses
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about moses?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When was the last time you seen him urinate a full stream? Any history of urinary tract infection for Moses? Does he have any history of allergies?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've been very busy today and so the last time I observed this was prior to the groomer yesterday. She mentioned to me that she noticed rust colored leaking. He is 11 and leaks often and also licks himself. He's neutered. No known allergies nor confirmed UTI. We've only dealt with natural remedies for the leaking. He doe not seem particularly crazy thirsty. He has had rusty urine before in his life but not lately. Have been giving apple cider vinegar in food as per holistic advice since Monday when I switched his food and noticed a foul smell that I later determined was coming from him. The smell is either no longer noticeable or totally gone.

Okay thanks for the additional information. With him straining and having the rust stained urine I would initially be concerned and want to rule out a UTI and most importantly possible bladder stones. Male dog can be prone to urinary blockage because of their anatomy. If that persists he may need to have a x-ray of his bladder done to rule out any evidence of stones. Has he had x-rays in the past? Or any bloodwork?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no, none. No family. we are not rich. we care for him impeccably, keep his teeth taken care of, and immunizations up.

Okay you may want to get a urine sample and see if there are crystals in the urine. Depending on the crystals you may be able to dissolve them with a special diet or a supplement to add to the food. If he does have an urinary obstruction that is causing him to strain, he most likely will need some type of surgery to help As far as the sore on the foot, he may have some irritation from something like a bug bite or contact with something that he may be sensitive to. If the toe is infected then he may need antibiotics to help treat the issue as well.