Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

No real DX. Almostc14 year old German Shepherd female. Blood

Customer Question

No real DX. Almostc14 year old German Shepherd female. Blood in urine. Took 7 days clavomox. Urine rechecked still blood. Seems to be in pain but giving pain pill in the morning seems to help.
I've been reading more articles about bladder and kidney stones. And of trying to come up with home remedies that could help. She pp's but then like a human with bladder infection will try to pp again as if the need is still there. At her age expensive treatment isn't in the works. She wasn't eating well - in three weeks guessing she went from 90 lbs to 75 or so. She is a smaller GSD
Veterinary services extremely limited where we live.
I want to know if the brand name for human UriCalm can be given for a short term to see if it helps relieve symptoms.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations UriCalm can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about UriCalm?
Customer: Kathy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. Are you online to discuss her?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Unfortunately the Uricalm is not a safe product to use in dogs. We do not use it routinely and it can actually cause more problems for you as it can cause liver and kidney issues and dry eye in dogs.

Has your vet found bacteria in your dog's urine, or just blood? Have they discussed doing an x-ray yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK thank-you
I have no further questions
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome.

I would find out if your vet was actually seeing bacteria in your dog's urine. If so, and bacteria was still present after a week on Clavamox, I would request a urine culture to determine what the best antibiotic to treat the infection would be. If there was no evidence of bacteria in the urine, the next step would be an x-ray to check for stones in the bladder or kidneys or a tumor in the bladder.

If you do have other questions, please let me know! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck.