Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a miniature schnauzer 3years old with swelling one

Customer Question

I have a miniature schnauzer 3years old with swelling one side of her neck the vet gave her 2 injections antibiotics one to reduce her temperature which was 105.24hours later the swelling is unchanged.she is not in pain but is lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly.the vet is talking about opening her up under general long before the infection.if that is what it is.should subside?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she had the swelling?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2 days have just been back to vets.temperature has come down and is normal gave her more injections and tablets and basically said if the swelling goes down over the weekend it was an infection.if not it is probably cancer

Friend, if the swelling came on within 2 days I am more inclined to believe this is related to inflammation like an infection (abscess), cyst, hematoma, etc. If the swelling does not go down I would discuss with your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. It is also important to remember that sometimes an abscess can be encapsulated, so the best option is to open up the abscess and treat it as an open wound.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.