Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog is panting, restless and acting erratic. It is 4am

Customer Question

My dog is panting, restless and acting erratic. It is 4am here. Not a time he would be doing something like this. We came home from vacation Friday note and noticed he had tiny bumps on his legs. They seemed sensitive to touch and he was limping a little. The person watching him while we were gone had left a message saying that he had cried the last two nights we were gone because he missed us so much. I thought that maybe is he had gotten into s bees nest, but he seemed fine other than a little bit of limping, so I have been watching. The limping has been coming and going. Yesterday he was out running around with my son and came in panting more and longer than usual. He eventually flamed down. I thought maybe it was the heat. But now he is doing this and I am getting concerned that maybe there is something more going on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question.

This panting and whining along with limping is probably due to an unstable disc in sweet Niko's back or neck. This can cause discomfort that causes this panting which is a way of manifesting pain. Doberman's can be prone to this condition because of their size and conformation and since you were away, the stress of this may have caused Niko to over do his exercise or jump on something that will cause this instability.

Since Niko does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Niko jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Niko is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs or play with your son to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nancy Nolet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Niko. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta