Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a skin condition going on. The location is on her

Customer Question

My dog has a skin condition going on. The location is on her belly and rear end. I would call it like elephant skin. Any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she licking the area?

3- Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this problem?

4- Can you post a picture on this thread?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has been going on for two years. Not licking area. Yes, she has been to the vet before. Given antibiotics. But it goes away in the winter. I have changed her food and even tilled up my backyard thinking it could be some type of allergy. The picture will not upload. Too large of a format.

Friend, I am sorry, but, I don't think I could be of much help without a hands on examination. I will opt out and allow another expert to comment. I am sorry.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kelly, thanks for your replies to Dr. Peter's original questions. Can you add some additional information, as well?

1) Can you please post pictures using these instructions:

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

2) Do you recall what antibiotic was used?

3) What shampoo is being used at this time? How often is she bathed?

4) Has she take any other medications aside from antibiotics?

5) What flea prevention is being used and how often?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
GNC Anti-Bacterial Fungal shampoo. No other medication then the antibiotics. Frontline for flea protection. Link from tinypics.com,http://i63.tinypic.com/30kd5eg.jpg. Not sure about what antibiotic I have looked through all of here doctor visits.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she gets bathed at least 2x a week.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

This looks like a yeast infection. Has your vet prescribed any oral antifungals such as Ketoconazole?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No

That'd be the next thing that I would talk to your vet about. The appearance of her skin is very similar to what we see with Malasesseia dermatitis, with secondary lichenification. This is very common in pitbulls, in fact, and an oral anti fungal can be used along side the shampoo that you're already using. It may take a few weeks (read: 4-8 weeks) of daily dosing to see the biggest improvements for her. Some dogs require staying on medications like this for months on end and can eventually go off of them. She may also benefit from oral antihistamines like zyrtec as yeast infections are common in dogs that also battle allergies, which is also common in pitbulls. http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

If she persistently has issues with yeast, I would urge you to do a novel diet trial with her and you might consider also going to see a dermatologist, as well.

Let me know if I can help further.