PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We think my Labrador retriever ate a frog/toad on Monday

Customer Question

We think my Labrador retriever ate a frog/toad on Monday evening. He had a grumbling stomach and mucus drooling from his mouth that night. Tuesday he didn't eat and seemed sluggish, but figured he still didn't feel good. I just found out he didn't eat again today(Wed) and looks uncomfortable now. Should I be getting him to an emergency vet now or can I wait till the morning? Also what will they do for him? Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What state do you live in?
2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wisconsin
He has some pinkish mucus drooling from his mouth, but no vomiting

Thanks for the information.

The two toads that we're most concerned about with ingestion or licking are not present in Wisconsin, which is excellent news for your companion.

The drooling, grumbling stomach and refusal to eat suggest that he's very nauseated. I can give you some steps to try at home, however, if he does not make improvements today I would suggest having him examined tomorrow.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try mixing in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for nausea/vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. Your vet may also recommend blood work, x-rays to be sure nothing foreign is in the GI tract, etc.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion today?