Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He s 10 years old and neutered. Otherwise healthy, active

Customer Question

He s 10 years old and neutered. Otherwise healthy, active and happy, he will suddenly lick his penis and the area around it as if it is itching,or bothering him. Ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Link. We have used the most expensive pest treatment monthly for summer months only and have never seen evidence of any fleas and only occasional ticks in the fall. Pest treatment À"as also recommended by Link's vet.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Link?
Customer: He urinates regularly and shows no other changes, but the licking is starting to concern me because it is becoming more frequent.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Any increase in food or water consumption?
2) Any change in urinary habits?
3) Any blood in the urine?
4) When did this begin?
5) Has he had any diagnostics for these symptoms?