Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My Maltese has white mucous drainage comin from etes, It's

Customer Question

My Maltese has white mucous drainage comin from etes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: It's draining out of both. Eyes
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 5 years
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bonnie is a maltese
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Well, eye discharge must be taken seriously. Some pets, can have a chronic mild watery discharge, which is not necessarily indicative of a problem. But if it is not typical for Bonnie to have discharge, and now there is a whitish mucoid discharge, that could suggest a problem like a conjunctivitis, keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye) condition, or possibly injury to the eyes like a corneal scratch.

This is well worth a vet visit, where the vet may recommend one or two basic tests of the eyes. One test is a simple eye stain test.

Also, the might suggest a simple tear production test to see how much normal tears are being made. These tests would dictate what medication to help resolve the problem.

In the meantime, I would not try flushing the eyes with anything. Just gentle cleaning with facial tissue and water to wipe away discharge buildup.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further help?