Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog just threw up what smells like poop, Not that I can

Customer Question

My dog just threw up what smells like poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and 6months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Sorry Bella is sick. So, Bella may have indeed eaten poop and then vomited. Dogs are a little gross like that. However, vomit can also have a foul odor when an animal is truly sick. Has Bella being acting normal up until this point? Anything she could have gotten into? Did she urinate and defecate normally this morning?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah I had just taken her out.. She has diarrhea.. And she won't listen to sit except with treats and she normally does
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I felt her belly and her bowels feel very active. I noticed the same type of substance in her cage when I got home

Okay. So vomiting and diarrhea. The likelihood of it just being stool that she ate is extremely small. She is obviously sick. What type of dog is she? Could she have gotten into the trash? Does she get any marrow bones or people food?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Australian Shepard and pit bull. We keep a close eye and I know she hasn't been in the trash.

Great. Is she up to date on her puppy vaccines. Is she routinely around other dogs? daycare, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is up to date on her vaccines. She was in the other cage with our other puppy and examining the cage now it does look like one of them may have pooped in the cage would that explain it?

It could, but definitely keep an eye on her. The fact that she has hyper motile gut (very active) and had some diarrhea points more towards an illness rather than a one time stool ingestion. Put her on a bland diet for several days to see if it quiets down. Boiled boneless/skinless chicken and white rice works great. If she improves, then wonderful, but if it persists, she needs to be evaluated by your vet. Always bring a fresh fecal.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please take time to rate. thank you.