Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

2 year old cairn terrier normally quite hungry and

Customer Question

2 year old cairn terrier normally quite hungry and exuberant. Stopped eating and throws up and is lethargic. Went to vet today, xray, blood work nothing 'unusual' still will not eat but will drink - then throws that up as well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cairn terrier?
Customer: not really - quite healthy until today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. It sounds like your dog may have an obstruction in the stomach or intestinal tract. Plain X-rays do not always show foreign material. Many times a contrast study with barium or an ultrasound are required to confirm blockage. The good news is that his bloodwork was normal today so he is unlikely to be dehydrated. I would recommend that you not give him any food or water overnight or in the morning. Call your local veterinarian in the morning and either ask for an ultrasound or a barium study. They can give him/her an potent anti nausea medication that will help keep the barium down. Also, if not keeping water down, dehydration will develop. Your kiddo may need to be put on iv fluids to rest the gastrointestinal tract. Does he/she chew on anything? Get into the garbage?