Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

He ate a bottle of cosequin ds joint health. Melvin, 9yrs.

Customer Question

He ate a bottle of cosequin ds joint health.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Melvin, 9yrs. 90lbs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Melvin?
Customer: not especially. he finds things to eat like this fairly regularly and usually has few issues.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Do you have an idea of how many tablets were in the bottle? did he eat any of the plastic or just crush it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No plastic eaten. It was pretty new, so 120-130 tablets.

Okay. The good news is that the plastic is typically the most dangerous part if ingested. Let me do a calculation and get right back to you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.

The LD 50 for glucosamine is about 5 gram/kg body weight ( study done on rats). Melvin is not close to a potentially harmful dose. You will likely see some diarrhea. If it persists beyond 24 hours, has any blood in it or he stops eating, then he may need to be seen. Very safe product, thank goodness. Feel free to ask additional questions. Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Your welcome. I had three of my great danes split a large bucket of equine glucosamine. Phenomenal diarrhea!!!

If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my answer. take care.