Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a shih tzu/ chineese crested male dog, 5 years old.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a shih tzu/ chineese crested male dog, 5 years old. He did get a "6 months chip" chemical castration 10 months ago and now he have 39,4 temperature, excess breathing (hyperventilating), almost no appetite, tired, not up for longer walks. Took him to the vet and they run a blood test that showed cortisol levels 167nmol/L (28-250), elevated ALP. Went back and did a ACTH test that showed 621 nmol/L. The vet did not want to conclude with cushing. I am really worried because I can see that he is not in a good place. The vet is going away so we will meet a new vet tomorrow. Any thoughts on what this is?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Jenny, unless my patient is eating you out of house and home and drinking like a fish, he isn't cushingoid...which would be very unusual in a 5 year old in any event. Do you know what prompted testing for Cushing's?

His temperature is only slighly elevated. His inappetence is an important symptom but it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. If his respiratory rate has increased over 30 breaths/minute while he's asleep, that's an important finding that needs to be investigated by X-rays of his heart and lungs. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests aren't necessarily going to be helpful with lower respiratory or cardiopulmonary disorders. I'm pleased to hear that a new vet will attend to Moberg. Can you upload a copy of Moberg's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

Hi Jenny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Moberg. How is everything going?