Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

She is at the end of her life, 14 y/o golden retriever, very

Customer Question

She is at the end of her life, 14 y/o golden retriever, very difficult for her to move,shallow panting breathing , not interested in feed. She is suffering and I don,t think I can shoot her. Will a large dose of pain medication put her to sleep?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harlow she's 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harlow?
Customer: Weight loss of probably 15 to 20 lbs last several weeks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. I know you want to help Harlow pass peacefully. Giving a large dose of pain medication is too unpredictable to ensure that she would pass without suffering. Are you able to take her to a local veterinary hospital for humane euthanasia? That would be the easiest and least painful for Harlow. Please continue to ask questions, so that I can help you during this difficult time. Take care

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Moving her appears to cause pain , closest vet is over 50 miles, I wouldn't be asking you if the vet was an option. I just need to end her suffering peacefully can you help me?

I am sorry sir. I cannot instruct you on how to euthanize your dog. I am opting out.

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, like Dr. Hill said, it is illegal (as in we will lose our license to practice) for us to ever recommend an overdose of pain medication. Do you have a local large animal veterinarian that does ambulatory (meaning they make house calls for horses or cattle?). If not, then I would recommend a regular dose of pain medication and a scheduled visit to your veterinarian. I am sorry that we cannot help further, I completely understand where you are coming from and wish there was a better option for you.