Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

1 to 4 large dogs ate 60, 75mg rimadyl. How toxic is that?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dogs! So one or all of them could have ingested up to 60 tablets of 75 mg Rimadyl? Just want to be sure I have the correct info!

How much do these dogs weigh?

How long ago did this happen?

Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide at home?

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello? Are you online to discuss your dogs?

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

It appears that you are not online right now, but in case you sign back on in a bit and I am not on the computer at that moment, I will tell you that an ingestion of this amount is a serious danger. High doses of this medication can cause severe stomach irritation including bleeding GI ulcers as well as damage to the liver and kidneys which can be life threatening.

If you have peroxide at home, I would induce vomiting right away by giving 0.5 to 1 ml per pound of body weight up to a total of 45 ml maximum per dog. I would then head straight to the emergency vet for additional treatment.

If you don't have peroxide at home, I would go ahead and head straight to the vet. They can induce vomiting there and then can administer activated charcoal orally to help decrease absorption of remaining drug, and can start fluid therapy if needed as well as stomach protectants, and can start monitoring liver and kidney function.

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.
Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jess K