PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our 5-mo. old Vizsla puppy has been diagnosed with bilateral

Customer Question

Our 5-mo. old Vizsla puppy has been diagnosed with bilateral follicular conjunctivitis and placed on a regimen of Tacrolimus 1 drop each eye BID.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: My vision is fine. Is my puppy's condition something she'll outgrow?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long has this puppy been suffering from follicular conjunctivitis?
2) Are you seeing an ophthalmologist for care?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The first encounter as ~19 July. Placed on Ciprofloxacin - 2 drops BID. Problem cleared within a week. Second encounter occurred 2 weeks ago when she got too close to a mower discharge chute. Discharge cleared with additional Cipro but returned this week. Vet opthamologist Dx of follicular conjunctivitis yesterday & treating with Tacrolimus. Dr.'s office suggests she should outgrow the condition within several months. What say you?

When dogs are this young, yes, there exists the possibility of them outgrowing many conditions they may develop in their youth. However, I would keep in the back of your mind that the potential exists for this to be a chronic problem for her and may require follicular debridement in the future and continued medication for her eyes as needed. There's more information here: http://animaleyecare.com/common-eye-diseases/follicular-conjunctivitis/ It may be a year or better before you know if this will be a condition that will completely resolve or need future visits to the ophthalmologist.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800