Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have miniature chiuawawa 4.5 lbs recently was diagnosed

Customer Question

I have miniature chiuawawa 4.5 lbs recently was diagnosed with chronic liver disease I was giving desoyln and antibiotic is been one week now and she's gotten worst while up to see her stiff,cold shaking not moving don't want to eat.... my question is what can I do to help her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has your vet determined the underlying cause for the liver disease yet?

Has she had any other testing besides routine blood work?

What abnormalities did she have on her blood work?

Are you sure you got the name of the medication as "desolyn" right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
liver problems they said her white blood cell were extremely high
She's on denosyl cerenia(antiemetic) metronidazole and famotidine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Took her to the vet Last night she had biomedical waste charge and I stay cg8+ lutes+ acid/base done which came back normal
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the information. I am assuming that her liver enzymes were elevated as well? Any idea on her BUN, glucose or albumin concentrations? The problem with measuring the liver enzymes is that they do not tell you exactly what is wrong with the liver. All liver ailments, where it be toxic, degenerative, inflammatory/immune mediated, cancerous, adrenal gland related and congential (portosystemic shunt - can be acquired as well - and microvascular dysplasia) can cause elevated liver enyzmes. In fact, the elevated liver enzymes doesn't really tell you if the liver is functioning correctly. A bile acids test is necessary for that. The elevated white blood cell count would suggest an inflammatory or infectious issue. Your vet may be able to put her on a more broad spectrum antibiotic and consider steroids, such as prednisone (smaller doses at first). If she is not doing well at all, though, I would highly recommend an ultrasound of the liver. You can evaluate the inner tissue of the liver and gall bladder that way and even evaluate for vascular abnormalities. In the end, a biopsy of the liver is usually necessary for a definitive diagnosis, but sometimes the ultrasound is enough to better guide therapy. Treating it empirically, without doing further testing, though; I would opt for a broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril and consider starting on low doses of steroids. It would probably help to have her on intravenous fluid therapy to help flush out the liver as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.