Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My Chaweener had diarrhea and vomiting last week and was

Customer Question

My Chaweener had diarrhea and vomiting last week and was treated for colitis and the possibility of giardia with pills every 12 hours for four days before we left on a car trip for 24 days. We've fed him chicken breasts and white rice during that time and he seemed better but stools are still loose, blackish and frequent. Last night he was up 3 times to poo and this AM vomited clear liquid and is acting angry and tried to bite me when I lifted him off the bed to go out. The vet in Oregon said if this recurred to get him to an emergency vet. We're taking him to a local vet this AM for an evaluation? Ideas on root cause and how to proceed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I was an emergency veterinarian for 15 years before going into day practice. I have a couple of questions for you about Pepper. Did he have any bloodwork or a fecal exam? Was the medication metronidazole? Does he get any people food, chew on plants or has he had any aspirin or anti inflammatory medications?

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Sounds like Leela had a large amount of stool. If it is not soft, or contain mucous or blood and Leela is eating and drinking okay, then I am not typically concerned with an occasional larger volume than normal. If she is straining and only producing small amounts of stool, but more frequently then there is the possibility of colitis (inflammation). I recommend that you drop off a fecal at your local veterinary hospital to screen for parasites. Keep and eye on her eating and drinking as well. If you note any mucous, blood or straining, then she needs to be in for a physical exam. Feel free to post additional questions. Take care.

I apologize, this got cross posted.