Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I have a female silky yorkie who is not spayed. She keeps

Customer Question

I have a female silky yorkie who is not spayed. She keeps licking her teets and producing milk even though she is not pregnant. Two nights ago she got aggressive and attacked my cat (almost killed him) her hormones are all out of whack I suppose. I live in woodbridge va and am looking for either low cost spaying or no cost because I am on disability and cannot afford to pay out all that money at once.
JA: The Veterinarian's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I have $10.00 in my account until the first
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She is not pregnant at all she just thinks she is.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your situation! If you are absolutely certain your dog isn't pregnant, then it sounds like she could be suffering from a false pregnancy. I am attaching a link here which will take you to an article on this condition in dogs:

Usually this condition will resolve within 3 weeks. There are hormone treatments that can be given by a vet if necessary. To help stop the situation, you need to stop her from licking at her mammary glands, because this is stimulating them to produce additional milk. The best thing to do would be to pick up an e-collar (the lampshade- like collar) for her. You can pick them up at most major pet stores. If you bring her with you, they should be able to help pick out the appropriate size.

Once she comes out of her false pregnancy, then she can be spayed. It does appear there is a vet who does reduced cost spays in your area if you can provide proof of your income. Here is their website with information on their program: . It appears that if you qualify, the cost of the spay is $40.

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

You can also go onto this website: and fill out a form and the SPCA of Northern Virginia will help you to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!