Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My dog seems to be hallucinating. SHe is unsettled and

Customer Question

My dog seems to be hallucinating. SHe is unsettled and constantly staring at diff event spots on the floor as if he is seeing movement. Her tail is wagging and he stares from place to place on the floor. She can't relax. It has only been doing this for 5 days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 6 months ago.

My name is***** and I can try to help you with Preshus. So it sounds like for the past 5 days she has had some behavior changes. First, I would like to ask a couple of questions: Is she on any medications? Could she have gotten into anything unusual, like human medications?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dr Snow. Nothing has changed, she hasn't eaten anything other than her usual diet.3 weeks ago I bought a new couch and she is no longer allowed to sit on it. I have put her bed next to it and she appears content with the new rule of sitting on it instead of the couch. That is the only change. she is in perfect health doesn't have fleas etc.I have a video of her behaviour if I can upload it.

Yes, if you can video it that would be helpful.

I can try to assist even without the video though. What you're describing could be whats called compulsive behavior, which has become all consuming. I am going to type a more thorough response, just give me a few minutes.

Compulsive behaviors often are derived from normal behaviors, arise out of conflict and then become performed to excess so that they interfere with function. A good physical exam from your veterinarian and some bloodwork could help rule out other causes.

Compulsive behaviors can be treated with a combination of behavior modification and drug therapy.

To start with, structured interactions that focus on you being in control are beneficial. This often encompasses reward based training. Also exercise and appropriate stimulation are helpful. Playtime that directs the dog to other outlets for normal dog behaviors, like fetch, sniff walks around the neighborhood, etc. These dogs also often benefit from a Gentle Leader headcollar. The headcollar can have a calming efect, may make the dog more likely to lie down and rest quietly and also allow the owner to interrupt the behavior from a distance and then redirect the dog to more appropriate behaviors. A thundershirt may also have a calming effect, which can be found online.

If you have a veterinary behaviorist in your area, they would be able to do a more thorough behavioral screening.

Please let me know if you have other questions for me!

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't send a video. Do you have an email address? It shows a stressed and aggitated restless dog.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do u think because she is no longer allowed on the couch, and has to sit on her bed I have driven her mad? I thought she was happy with being with us, she
Loves her bed and although she wud prefer the comfort of my new couch I don't even have to remind her anymore. So there is no conflict.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Those things u suggest aren't suited to Preshus. She is older and is always the one we carry home after walks. She doesn't like the dog park but loves the beach. I can't imagine putting a head collar on her. She thinks she is a cat actually.

I'm not sure she is mad about the couch. It may have been a stressor for her, but I don't think you have driven her mad. It sounds like she is a well loved and taken care of pooch!

If you feel that putting a head collar on her would not be suitable, there are some other things to try. Maybe more beach trips to get some mental stimulation, very short walks, lots of cuddle/petting time with you. You can even do some basic training at home, like sit and stay with small treats as rewards.

There is also a product you can find at the pet store called D.A.P., or dog appeasing pheramone, that can decrease anxiety. It comes as a plug in or a collar as well. This may help her behavior. If you are very worried, taking her into your veterinarian for a check up might be a good idea!

Please let me know how I can help further!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I understand your suggestions, but I kind of think Presh was settled into her life and routine and I can't imagine trying to re-train her with behaviours etc lol. She is spending so much more time indoors now and I thought she was happy. But clearly she is not. I will take your advise a bout more walks etc and outings. Maybe she is feeling like a lesser human coz I am being strict about the couch? Thanks for your help

It is possible that she is stressed about the couch situation, but it is very understandable that you don't want her on a new couch! I think putting her new bed next to it was a good plan, and maybe it will just take some time for her to adjust. During that time, lots of extra attention is sure to be helpful!

Feel free to let me know if you have further questions and kindly rate me!!

Dr. Snow

How is Preshus doing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She still sits on her bed and appears to be seeing things on the floor. I'm just trying to distract her and reward her for sitting on her bed. She is not chasing things tonight...yet. But she is definately seeing things move. I keep trying to send a video to u, but I can't.

You should be able to just add it as an attachment.