Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 5.5 year old Olde English Bulldogge. She swallowed

Customer Question

I have a 5.5 year old Olde English Bulldogge. She swallowed a rawhide chew (whole) about 48 hours ago and vomited it up about 2 hours later undigested. Now she seems to be drinking and urinating more than normal and she had diarrhea this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: She was recently in (4 weeks ago) with a UTI and my normal vet put her on an antibiotic.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you feel comfortable in saying that she vomited all of the rawhide?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Is she currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. Yes she did.
2. She is a bit more lethargic than normal.
3. She is on 5 capsules of Benydryl twice a day for allergies.

1- How long has she been drinking more than usual?

Friend, if she vomited all of the rawhide this should not be an issue at this point. The big question now is: Why is she drinking more than usual? When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The fact that she has a history of recently having a UTI it is also possible that the UTI has returned. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), urinalysis and a urine culture & sensitivity (C&S) as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. Pending the results it is likely that your vet will start her on oral antibiotics again.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter