Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is female cross german sheherd/ labrador. She is 11

Customer Question

My dog is female cross german sheherd/ labrador. She is 11 years old an desexed. She is distressed when she urinates and keeps licking her urether area and panting like she is in pain. I live in country town, but will take her to vet tomorrow morning, but what can I do tonight to eleviate her pain??? Please help, she looks really distressed !!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Nola!

Based on her signs, this sounds like a bladder infection brewing for your lass. Often the change in urine pH leads to urinary tract inflammation, the need to pass urine often, and overgrooming of the genitals. In this case, we are limited in what we can do at home. Though you will want to increase her fluid intake (offering water, lactose free milk, canned food, etc) to help dilute her urine and reduce that irritation. As well, OTC aloe vera bery juice from your local health food store can help normalize urine pH to reduce that distressing burning discomfort she will be feeling. Finally, as lon as she hasn't any blood in her urine, is on no medications, and has no health issues; you can choose to give her a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE). Of course, if you use this, then we'd need to let her vet know when she is seen in the morning, as they will need to choose a pain relief alongside their antibiotic that won't interact with the Aspirin while its in her system.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )