Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

We've got the flu and we have a 10 week old Rottweiler pup.

Customer Question

We've got the flu and we have a 10 week old Rottweiler pup. Is the pup at risk of contracting influenza in some form or another?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your human family as the flu. At this time, there is no known cases of human flu jumping species and infecting dogs. I won't say it can't happen, because, as you know, the flu virus has been known to jump species in the past (bird to pig to human, etc).

Here in the US, the horse flu jumped into dogs several years ago and more recently a bird flu from Asia jumped into a dog in Chicago.

I would recommend watching your dog closely and if she seems lethargic, monitor her body temperature closely. If she develops a fever, call your vet immediately and let them know that the humans have the flu and you are concerned about your dog.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

How is everyone in your house today I hope that everyone is recovering quickly from the flu. How is your pup? Is he showing any signs of illness? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda