Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Jack Russell 10 yrs old. started back paw rotten looks

Customer Question

Jack Russell 10 yrs old. started back paw rotten looks pussy between toes and nail socket, pussy looking now both hind also rub marks elbot raw to the skin??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duncan male not nutered
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duncan?
Customer: don't think so just not his normal happy self
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he licking the affected area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Noticed abouT 5 days ago,on rear paw, put cream on it viaderm-K.C. on it. Then this am noticed both rear paws and his knee little raw, maby from licking?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also little front paws also
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, what you are describing is called "pododermatitis." Basically, this is inflammation/infection of the paws. I am going to make some recommendation. But, I would also recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian, she may need oral prescription medication. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter