Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has been scalded with black coffee help please

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. You did the right thing in quickly running cold water over your dog, all you can do now is to wait and see if any blisters or skin lesions develop, actually in my experience many dogs to tend to get away with these sorts of incidents as opposed to humans because their fur gives them some degree of protection.

2. If any skin wounds, blisters or areas of inflammation do develop then you may be able to handle the situation by applying the likes of Neosporin twice a day, but more extensive areas of scalding may need antibiotics from your local vet.

3. If your dog is in pain at the moment then your only real option in terms of over the counter human drugs is aspirin. { Many of the others can be toxic to dogs } A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

4. Of course if things get out of hand or you become further concerned then you should have your local vet check your dog over. However in the meantime I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.