Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12 year old Rott/Lab/Shepherd mix female dog is losing

Customer Question

My 12 year old Rott/Lab/Shepherd mix female dog is losing weight. She will not eat unless hand fed people food and when I mix something appetizing in with dog food she may or may not eat it. I am happy when I can get her to eat, but then I find the food thrown up in backyard later. She also does what we call the "poop walk" all around the yard and of course since she barely eats there is not much poop. She has always been a very fit dog and slender. I am thinking she is getting senile as she is sleeping a lot and startles easily. She has no problem going to door when wanting outside. Never had even one accident in house. This has gone on now for 6 to 8 weeks. She does not seem to be in any pain. Acts fine. Wags tail. Happy. I am trying daily to make sure she eats something.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, she is up=to-date on shots. Was at vet here in April. He said she was good. Was not having the anorexia problem at that time. I believe she weighed about 57 pounds. I am not sure of her weight now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. She has not had any blood work or abdominal x-rays at this time is that correct? At least in the past 6-8 weeks?