Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I was giving him a bath and noticed that his back two carpal

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I was giving him a bath and noticed that his back two carpal paw pads are swollen. the two pads up front, I think are called toes are fine. This is just back paws, front are fine too. the swollen pads also look a little frayed. Never had this happen before. No known allergies. He isn't limping or favoring them ,no licking either.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I did look didn't notice any
JA: How old is toes?
Customer: he is about 31/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about toes?
Customer: just he doesn't like one of his front paws touched at all. has seen the vet, she said a sore but i ever saw one but kept putting med. on it. he has been like that since i've had him though, nothing else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these pads to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. The finding of fraying is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of hyperkeratosis of the pads. This is an idiopathic (unknown cause) condition characterized by the excessive formation of pad keratin (a structural protein). Thickened, hard, dry keratin accumulates which can make them appear swollen. Secondary erosions, ulcers and fissures can arise and represent an autoimmune skin disease (the immune system is attacking my patient’s own tissues). This is identified only by biopsy.