Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My pit mix puppy(5 months) ate a stuffed animal you and now

Customer Question

my pit bull mix puppy(5 months) ate a stuffed animal you and now won't eat or poo...this is the second day and we don't get paid until the first of the month.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I know that you requested a phone call but my information will be easier to pass on via written dialogue. And like many other veterinarians on the site I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so.

After 3-4 hours it is too late to induce vomiting in most instances when a pup eats foreign material. Two days later is definitely too late.

Because he is now refusing to eat and isn't passing stool odds are very high that he has an obstruction. These cannot be helped at home, he likely needs surgery.

I understand that you have financial constraints.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

In the meantime if he isn't actively vomiting push fluids, offer broth to drink or a very dilute gruel of meat baby food and warm water. Dehydration will make things much, much worse.

I am very sorry that you and your pup are in this position, best of luck with him.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****