How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4855
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog jumped off the deck and yelped. Has been carrying his

Customer Question

My dog jumped off the deck and yelped. Has been carrying his back leg for 5 days now except is beginning to put it down a little bit. Doesn't seem to be in pain except just lame on that leg. Local vet prescribed previcox on the first day and he is still taking it. Isn't recommending a surgeon at this point. He is saying it may just be sprained. Do you think after 5 days with so little improvement it might be just a sprain or should I insist on being referred to a surgeon?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did your vet take any x-rays of the limb?

Did they mention any specific area that seems painful to him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you but I already got a response from another online vet. It was a female. I wouldn't mind having your opinion also but can't afford to pay twice.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

No problem. I would expect a muscle sprain to start getting better by now. I would be more concerned about a ligament, tendon or joint injury. I would at least pursue a consult from a surgeon, even if you decide to not proceed with surgery. Hope this helps.