Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog jumped off the deck and yelped. Has been carrying his

Customer Question

My dog jumped off the deck and yelped. Has been carrying his back leg for 5 days now except is beginning to put it down a little bit. Doesn't seem to be in pain except just lame on that leg. Local vet prescribed previcox on the first day and he is still taking it. Isn't recommending a surgeon at this point. He is saying it may just be sprained. Do you think after 5 days with so little improvement it might be just a sprain or should I insist on being referred to a surgeon?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did your vet take any x-rays of the limb?

Did they mention any specific area that seems painful to him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you but I already got a response from another online vet. It was a female. I wouldn't mind having your opinion also but can't afford to pay twice.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

No problem. I would expect a muscle sprain to start getting better by now. I would be more concerned about a ligament, tendon or joint injury. I would at least pursue a consult from a surgeon, even if you decide to not proceed with surgery. Hope this helps.