Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has high protein in his urine tests. They want to do

Customer Question

My dog has high protein in his urine tests. They want to do an ultra sound. Is this life threatning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

It can be, Rosemary, but excessive proteinuria needs to be evaluated in light of other test results. Can you upload a copy of all of Tailer's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

Most important is distinguishing if the proteinuria is due to a primary kidney problem or secondary to a more generalized disease process. That's done by looking at all of the blood tests and a complete urinalysis. Ultrasound can be helpful if blood work and urinalysis don't reveal the cause of the proteinuria. Quantifying the proteinuria is essential and that's done by performing a protein:creatinine ratio on the urine. We can't depend upon a simple urine Dipstix measurement of protein. For example a 1+ proteinuria in a well-concentrated urine of specific gravity 1.045 isn't considered significant but a 1+ can indicate significant proteinuria in a dilute urine of specfic gravity 1.020.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.