Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Dog licking sheets all night long otherwise normal sneeses a

Customer Question

dog licking sheets all night long otherwise normal sneeses a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sunny 14 I am 75 we have been together long time
JA: How old is sunny?
Customer: 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sunny?
Customer: possibly spoiled milk he injested last evening
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Sunny is suddenly licking the sheets all night long and doing some sneezing.

Since this is a new behavior then dogs will often lick when they have a bad taste in their mouth but that should not last long. They can also lick when they have something caught between their teeth, an infected tooth, or something stuck on the roof of their mouth.

Dogs with increased nasal discharge due to a viral or bacterial infection will sneeze more. But dogs with dental disease, an oronasal fistula (tract between the mouth and nose, often due to a foreign body penetrating or tooth root infection) or inflammation in their mouth may have irritated/inflamed nasal mucosa secondarily, especially with tooth root infections or abscesses. So they will sneeze more too. Oral infections/inflammation could explain both sneezing and her licking.

Have you looked at his teeth and gums and on the roof of his mouth?

Has his appetite increased or decreased recently?

Dogs will often lick when they are feeling nauseous or have gastroesophageal reflux to try and settle their stomachs. If he has had a change in appetite or is vomiting along with his licking he may be nauseous.

Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause licking. Anemia can lead to pica or eating or licking non food items.

I do recommend that he see his veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior if his licking continues.

For now in case this is related to nausea or reflux to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. You can use these for several days if need be or even long term if they help as they are very safe medications.

You do want to mention this behavior to his veterinarian at her next veterinary visit even if he improves with the acid reducers as they will likely want to run some blood tests to look for any possible developing problems

It may also help to feed him a bland diet as well. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back.

If his symptoms return with a return to his regular diet then it's time to see his veterinarian.

In an older pup licking can also be a sign of pain, especially arthritis pain, and though generally they lick the sore joint not always. If he seems stiffer than usual or is limping then his veterinarian should examine him for signs of joint pain/arthritis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****