Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog a 15mg chocolate favorite laxative, the whole box,

Customer Question

My dog a 15mg chocolate favorite laxative, the whole box, she's 25 pds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: She is not acting any different I just scared since she a the whole box
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She's not hurting, the laxative were for me not my dog, I had them on my night stand and she got them
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: So if she ate the whole box what should I watch for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues were unable to aid you. Still, I wanted to touch base with you and let you know that the chocolate content of these are very low and our main concern would be that this could cause severe diarrhea, belly cramps, and dehydration.

Therefore, our focus here would be supportive care for your lass. To start, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. We can also add canned pumpkin or all bran, as the fiber in either will help bulk up her stools as this runs its course. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk with diarrhea, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Otherwise, we'd want to ensure she has good access to fluids as we monitor these.

Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider countering the laxatives effects with a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI and slowing the diarrhea those laxatives could cause.

Overall, we do need to tread with care in these cases since severe diarrhea from laxatives could cause dehydration and weakness. So, we can use the above to try to counter their effects over the next few days. Of course, if her signs are severe or she become dehydrated or weak then we'd want her to her vet for IV fluids to help keep her hydrated as these pass through her system.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )