Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My 50 lb 1 yr 9 Mo old dog just ate my sons tylenol off the

Customer Question

My 50 lb 1 yr 9 Mo old dog just ate my sons tylenol off the table about 30 minutes ago. It was 560 mg. Will she be ok? We are sick and I don't have the money for an emergency vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Let's pretend you wanted to give it. On the internet there are some dose recommendations of 5mg to 7.5mg per pound of body weight.

So, at 50 pounds, that is 50 x 7.5 which equals 375mg.

He ingested 560mg.

That is an overdose, but not an exceedingly high overdose.

If you had hydrogen peroxide at home and it was ingested no more than about 30 minutes ago, you could induce vomiting to get some of it out of his system.

To induce vomiting at home, give 1 to 2 teaspoons for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Do not exceed 10 teaspoons regardless of body weight. ONLY use the 3% peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting. 1 teaspoon is 5ml of liquid.

If no peroxide at home, I would give a full meal of food right now, even if he has ate to held protect the stomach. Giving a Pepcid A.C. antacid would also help. The dose for Pepcid antacid in a 50 pound dog is either a full tablet of a 10mg or 20mg tablet.

Wish I could do more. Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I hope everything is going okay???

May I be of any further assistance?