Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I think my dog may have eaten an oxygen absorber packet 2

Customer Question

Hi there, I think my dog may have eaten an oxygen absorber packet 2 days ago. He vomited several times that night and had diarrhea. He seemed better this morning but he definitely seems to be not feeling well now. Should I induce vomiting or give him milk of magnesia?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about may?
Customer: Not that I can think of other than he hasn't vomited or had diarrhea (that I can tell) since yesterday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should add that he is a small dog, probably around 15 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.

INgested the packets 2 days ago. Definitely, there is no point to induce any further vomiting. It will be detrimental.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. (due to extended release tablets, this is not always a good choice since it can take over 24 hours before its of any benefit)
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.

But, concerning that it has been two days, because I would not have expected what was ingested to be causing ongoing illness. Well worth considering a vet visit at this time for better supportive therapies.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further assistance?