Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My pitbull had some bumps under his fur. I took him to a

Customer Question

Hello. My pitbull had some bumps under his fur. I took him to a veterinarian and was told he has sunspots. The veterinarian shaved his fur where the sunspots are but left some sunspots unshaven, didn't check his teeth or ears. I remember about 4 years ago he had the same condition of sunspots but a different Veterinarian didn't shave his fur. This current Veterinarian shaved his fur, got me to buy a topical spray(Topagen spray 70ml#5) and pills(30 apo-cephalex 500mg#5) for my dog. I'm seriously thinking that shaving his fur was not necessary as well as the spray. Would not the pills alone be sufficient?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

Tough question.

Any time there is any crusting or there is a skin infection with some hair matted in to the skin, shaving is a nice and quick way to get it clean and speed up healing.

I am not confident without my own examination if the shaving was needed or not.
The topagen spray is quite nice. I believe it contains both a basic antibiotic and a steroid spray. So, if the condition resolves, make sure to save the spray for future issues (as long as not expired).

The pills are a basic antibiotic. In consideration that there were multiple bumps, and it is really unknown if there was an infection or not, this was a fairly benign and generally less expensive antibiotic for the vet to suggest.

So, guesses of course without my own examination, but at least the pills and spray seemed reasonable.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further assistance?