Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has been having diarrhea for almost 24 hours. At

Customer Question

My dog has been having diarrhea for almost 24 hours. At least 3 instances contained some blood and about an hour ago, she threw up partially digested and undigested food and some of it looked like it was from last nights meal. Please, help. We nearly lost her a month ago and this is really worrying me. We don't have the funds to take her to the ER. She is 8 1/2 years old - a westie mix. Just had her second bladder surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We have had them on raw food for about 4 months with no problems, but my daughter said last night she scarfed down a chicken leg faster tan usual. We have had no problems with chicken bones because they usually chew them good, but she didn't on the one last night and that is why I am so worried.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bones?
Customer: Her temp is normal 101.8 and her abdomen does not seem hard, so I don't believe she has any gas build up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Have there been any changes to diet including human food? treats?
2) Any ingestion of foreign bodies?

3) Please describe the diet in detail that she normally eats.