Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog has been having back pain. We have tried to keep,him

Customer Question

My dog has been having back pain. We have tried to keep,him from jumping, but he still jumps. He is now shaking. I guess this is from pain. He has a prescription of Rimadyl from last time this happened. Should I give him anything else?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: He's a labradoodle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Bear is having back pain. Please continue attempts to restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves initially but that means no steps/ stairs and leash to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

If you have tramadol that has been prescribed for him that is a great combination for pain management but also to keep him quiet tonight.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get Bear comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope Bear is feeling better today and would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!