Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

Her skin looks red and irritated...which has happened before

Customer Question

Her skin looks red and irritated...which has happened before but she has seemed very restless today and kind of been pacing around which is unusual for her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: millie, old English bulldog, 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about millie?
Customer: nope
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Sounds like Millie may be having an allergic reaction. Dogs will develop a rash and will be restless, sometimes rubbing their face. A more severe reaction will progress to facial swelling +/- hives. If she has had issues like this before, then look for commonalities between the episodes (time of year, type of food, etc). You can safely give PLAIN benadryl 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight twice daily to see if this help with the rash initially. If the rash persists, then she may need antibiotics and a stronger antihistamine. Because Millie is a bull dog, I would take her to an emergency clinic if she develops facial swelling. Their airway can become obstructed with swelling. Feel free to ask follow up questions. Take care.

Hi. Glitch with the computer system. Were you able to see my response?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also meant to say that I put hydrocortisone lotion (for dogs) on her and it seemed to make it worse. How many days should I go with the benadryl before having her seen? My Dad also recently got a puppy, she has been around it but it's not in same home. Didn't know if that could possibly cause stress?

Weird that the cortisone cream made it worse. We don't really see stress induced rashes. If the puppy is having any skin issues, then it is possibly something contagious. If she has a positive response to the benadryl, then I would use for a week. If she is not showing some improvement with 24 hours, then best to get her seen. A minor irritation one day can turn in to a hot spot pretty quickly and then you are looking at antibiotic therapy.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jade,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill