Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog who is 20 lbs has diarrhea, can I give him imodium

Customer Question

My dog who is 20 lbs has diarrhea, can I give him imodium and how much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Frankie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frankie?
Customer: No except he is about 10 years old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools. Please do not use immodium as some dogs can have a toxic reaction, particularly certain breeds but it is not a product I use because of the potential for adverse reactions

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope that the diarrhea is beginning to subside with my recommendations.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman