Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our American Bulldog Petie, estimated age of 14-15 yrs old

Customer Question

Our American Bulldog Petie, estimated age of 14-15 yrs old perished this past Saturday. He woke up with a swollen left hind paw on Saturday. We took him to the vet. At the vet's it was decided it was best to do an xray of his entire abdominal area. It was determined by the vet that Petie likely had a mass by the kidneys. The vet said a salix injection was necessary. She administered the injection. The vet tried one paw, said she couldn't find the vein, injected him again in the other paw. Three hours later my dog died. I think his death was a direct result from the salix injection. I am reading now that salix comes in pill form. The vet gave him an injectable form. We don't know why the vet gave him salix if there was no suspect of kidney or heart failure. This just seems very wrong. It's our belief that this is medical malpractice. I'd like to know what the effects of salix are and why this vet would give my boy salix if a mass was suspected. Thanks in advance for your response.
Marlene Soto-Romero
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi Marlene. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this loss of Petie. It is never easy to loose a friend like this. Do you know how many mg's the injection of the Salix (lasix) was? I'm going to be very, very honest here and say that from a pure medical aspect, a single injection of lasix shouldn't cause an acute passing. It is an extremely commonly used medication to help serve as a diuretic. You are correct in that it is used a lot in cases with heart failure, as that is when I'm using it the most. When I'm using it in those cases of congestive heart failure, it is being used very aggressively to help get excess fluid out of the body. If a dog wasn't in congestive heart failure, I would expect a single injection of lasix to cause diuresis - increased urination as the major side effect. The mass that was seen in the x-rays, I would be more suspicious that it was the reason for his passing. Could it have suddenly started bleeding?