Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Molly has been catering to her front left paw for a week or

Molly has been catering to her front left paw for a week or so now. Sometimes, she is fine with walking and then she starts limping. What could be the problem?

Aagh! I could fill a few pages with differential diagnoses. Starting at her nails - broken, infected (paronychia); pads - bruised, autoimmune skin disease - joints of foot, carpus, elbow, shoulder - osteoarthritis, polyarthritis (immune mediated, infectious), sprains or strains; long bones - neoplasia (cancer). And we mustn't forget her neck because a dorsal root signature sign (similar to sciatica but in the front rather than hind limb) can cause her lameness and the problem could be in her neck (a slipped disk, e.g.) but manifest in her leg.

I have to carefully examine Molly's leg from the tip of her toes to her shoulder and perform flexion and extension tests on each joint. Swellings along the leg have to be investigated if only because cancer is so common in a 10 year old Boxer. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish. I''m sorry for the delay; I just got home from a hike.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No problem. You are my favorite vet ��

Aw...thank you for your kind words.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it best to take her to the vet then?

Unless she remisses within the next week, yes, have her vet examine and X-ray her if necessary. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow.

I think I'm going to wait to hear from you tomorrow. I did my hike today so tomorrow's a day of rest...chained to my computer by evil gnomes. Talk to you later.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took her to the vet this morning and he prescribed Deramaxx for 2 weeks.

That's reasonable. Did palpating her limb reveal from where the discomfort arose?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was no sensitivity at all. He thinks it must be an acute injury.

Thank you. ***** if two weeks of that nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug doesn't do the trick. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her paw doesn't seem to be improving very much.

Rats. If you don't see any improvement in the first week, it's time for X-rays. Sorry for the delay. I just got home from hiking in the middle of nowhere.