Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I am the mom of a 11 years old Labradoodle that I saved back

Customer Question

I am the mom of a 11 years old Labradoodle that I saved back in 2012 from Puppy Mill. She was then 7 and really bad shape...
She now have a good life but for the last year I had to reduce the length of our walk to 3 small walk a day (20-25 min. each) because she is pretty stiff. With the previous background; she was tied up in a barn for several years giving birth so we have to understand that she is not in a total shape when it come to exercises. However, a friend told me to go see the massage therapist in is area. I did. She recommended to have Sasha on a Lymphatic Drainage program to help her out. Here's my question; the lady is telling me that it would help her Psychologically AND Physically...HOW SO? What kind of improvement will I see and is it worth it.
Thanks in advance. Meg
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** Thank you for giving this girl the home that she has! What is her name? When was the last time she was at your vet for an evaluation there? Do you feel that she's a little more stiff, not as willing to go up and down stairs, or to get up on things in the house like the couch or bed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sasha is her name.
We go to the vet few times a years. THe yearly check up and she do have ear infections quite often.She slowed down for the last year. She walks slower... She never been able to really run or jump! But she's happy nothing major I can really say she has.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She sleeps on a fluffly cushion, never on floor or cold places

Thank you for that information. I'm going to be very honest here and say that with her breed, age and that description - arthritis has to be a very huge suspicion here for why she's slowing down. Your vet is actually the very best source to help get her the therapy that she needs. They can check her over and make sure that is what their suspicion is too. They then most likely would want to do some blood work on her and then do a trial of oral pain medication to see what the response is. I like to in these cases do a 2 week trial of medications with owners and their pets to see what response they see at home is. I would be extremely optimistic here that she would improve greatly with what they can do. They have the safest and most effective medications. I'll be hones and say that I honestly don't even know what a Lymphatic Drainage problem is. Does that tell you anything about my possible hope for that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not majorly worried about her but really interested in that Lymphatic drainage massage if it can promote her with a better life. Wanted the opinion of an expert.
I also know that this is not a replacement for any apt. with the vet but just a add up

I'm going to say that given that I've never really read on it, used it or heard of it - it most likely isn't going to have much help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Here is a good link on arthritis and the management of it.

I would bet your vet tries some combination of the things talked about on it. I'm hoping for the best for Sasha.

Hi Chantal,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?