DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

I think my dog got into some rotten meat as she seems to

Customer Question

I think my dog got into some rotten meat as she seems to have an upset stomach and a low grade temp? I was wondering if I could give her Duramycin-10 in her water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elsa is a 2 yr old GSD
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?
Customer: Elsa has a very sensitive digestive system
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Im sorry to hear that your dog got into some bad meat.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 3 months ago.

Eating rotten meat can cause pancreatitis and colitis......giiving an antibiotic like Duramycin is not the recommended therapy. And it can be more upsetting to the stomach. I would not recommend doing that.....but here are some other things you can do to help.....

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 3 months ago.

Feed only a bland diet ......maybe cooked white rice and boiled boneless skinless chicken breasts. Give 1/2 cup rice plus 1/2 cup shredded chicken. Add some water to help keep her hydrated.

You can give her Pepcid AC to help withh stomach upset. Give 10 mg Pepcid 2 x per day.

If the dog has a fever....you can give human buffered aspirin to help with the fever and the GI pain. If your dog is about 50 lbs you can give 1/2 of a regular human buffered aspirin.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 3 months ago.

Some additional notes:

Tetracyyline antibiotics like Duramycin can cause cartilege issues in young growing dogs so that is another reason to not use this antibiotic in your pup.

If the bland diet and over the counter meds I have reocmmend do not help. Or if your dog can not keep water down, please get her in to see a vet ASAP.

I hope this has been helpful. Best of luck..