Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog has intermittent bouts of borborygmi. I have been

Customer Question

My dog has intermittent bouts of borborygmi. I have been giving him 1/2 pepcid per day and feeding him hills id dog food. I just started him on forti flora a couple days ago. Any further recommendations?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

It certainly sounds like you have covered most of the bases for a dog with intermittent bouts of intestinal upset. Can you tell me a bit more and I'll let you know if there is anything else that I think might be helpful. When did this start? Have the steps that you have taken already helped? Does Harold have any diarrhea associated with these bouts? And has your veterinarian run any tests... bloodworm or X-rays?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It started about 2 years ago, he has been to the vet about months ago due to this. The vet was the one that recommended the pepcid & diet change. That helped a lot. He was doing really good but i had a schedule change at work. He seems to be having the symptoms again since the change
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No blood work or xrays have been done

Okay, dogs can definitely have changes in digestion or develop food allergies as they get older, but they can also develop serious problems like intestinal cancers that cause similar symptoms. However, if this has been going on for 2 years and you have seen improvement with the treatments then serious problems, like intestinal cancers, are less likely.

The diet, pepcid, and probiotics, like fortiflora are my first line of recommendations. If they have diarrhea associated with the bouts and the fortiflora doesn't resolve it then I sometimes add an antibiotic call tylan powder. The only other thing I sometimes try is Vitamin B12. This has to be given by injection. Initially it is every few days, then it is every 2-4 weeks after that. If you are not sure if vitamin B12 will help, you can run blood work to check the vitamin B levels. If they are low then it will definitely help.

If that doesn't help, then sometimes another diet will help. If they have a food allergy they will frequently do well on a diet change, but after some time... 6months or more... on that diet they can develop an intolerance to that diet as well. I know you just started the fortiflora, give that time to work. If it doesn't work consider measuring vitamin B levels and trying another idea change. I like Z/D (it is a hypoallergenic diet) as my second choice. I/D is my first choice.

If nothing helps, then it is time to do some more tests to make sure there isn't something more serious going on.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you i think i will make an appointment with the vet to get blood work done

Best wishes. And if you want B12 levels measured, make a morning appointment and don't feed him... that is a test that needs to be done on a fasted sample.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 month ago.
Hi Linda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harold. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. Stacy, took Harold to the vet yesterday. Blood work came back with slightly elevated eosinophils. He was started on lactoquel & will be switching dog food. Thank you for your help. Hopefully this helps him & its nothing more serious. Linda