Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

He must have eaten some sort of rodent or bunny... he

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: he must have eaten some sort of rodent or bunny... he vomited it up and now is cheeks are swollen, looks like a chipmunk with stuff stored in its cheeks
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rusty and he is about 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?
Customer: nothing I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you post pictures of the cheek swelling you're seeing?
2) Has he stopped vomiting or does this continue?
3) Any diarrhea?

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi again. The max dose of cetirizine would be 2 mg/kg body weight, so the max dose for Scrappy would be 18 mg. Unlikely to see any ill effects from the extra 2 mg.

Also, since his allergies are seasonal, talk to your local veterinarian about starting him on Apoquel (prescription) for the few months that he has issues. It works very well and can be stopped without tapering the dose. Take care. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.