Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

We are 90% sure our 5 yr old Yorkie ate a condom.. it's been

Customer Question

We are 90% sure our 5 yr old Yorkie ate a condom.. it's been 3 days and we have not seen it pass. He is acting normal, eating and drinking like usual and no vomiting or straining. Should it have passed by now and what is the best thing to do at this point?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

It is always concerning when a dog eats something that it shouldn't, but the fact that he is not vomiting or having any problems yet is a good sign. Food typically passes through the intestinal tract in a matter of hours (5-24 hours). With foreign material it can move through at the same speed or it can take much longer. The condom could settle to the bottom of the stomach and sit there for a few days and once it does start to move it can move slowly. When it becomes a serious problem is if it start to block the normal passage of food and water.

Given that he is not vomiting it is not likely that it is blocking him at this point. I would recommend adding some fiber to his diet to try to get it to move along. You can do this by adding some canned pumpkin to his food... maybe 1 tablespoon per meal. Monitor him closely. If it passes, great. If he has any vomiting, refusal to eat or belly pain then get him to a veterinarian for evaluation. If it hasn't passes in another 3 days you might want to take him in for an evaluation just to be sure everything is okay.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know! If not, please rate our conversation.