Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has cancer and is in pain i have 10mg ms contin

Customer Question

Hi my dog has cancer and is in pain i have 10mg ms contin morphine how much can l give a dog whos 45kg l dont have the funds to get her put to sleep til Wednesday l cant see my dog in pain so how much morphine is suitable to keep her comfortable thanks please help Robert In Western Australia
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about Mishka. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Unfortunately morphine is not well absorbed by mouth in most dogs, so it is sometimes not great for pain. Is this oxycontin you have, or morphine?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

The doses are different. Oxycontin would be more effective and the dose is .1 to .3 mg per kg of body weight, so 4.5 to 13.5 mg. Morphine dose is .5 to 2 mg per kg, or 22 to 90 mg. These doses are repeated as needed once to 3 times daily.

The morphine may not be great for pain, but can cause vomiting, and restlessness. The Oxycontin might be better for cancer pain than morphine so I hope that is what you have.

I hope this helps her, and you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Mishka? I hope you were able to see what I wrote; I have not heard back from you. Let me know if this was helpful and answered your question.