Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Our 5 yr old male german shepherd Dylan is acting very

Customer Question

Our 5 yr old male german shepherd Dylan is acting very strange and I don't know if a trip to the er is needed.
He is panting and unsettled, behaves as tho he is frightened of something, but ate and played normally.
He is a neutered inside dog, up to date on vaccines, was treated with Frontline on Monday last week but otherwise is on no meds. He is allergic to grains, but has had nothing different in his diet.
this behavior just started today, altho for awhile he has panted inside unless the AC was set at about 66.
A cpl months ago I was concerned about him limping on a hind leg, but it seemed to get better on its own.
his panting is heavy but normal, he is not gasping for breath, nose is not up high.
Howevery be is not allowing anyone to sleep tonite and he is usually a very settled dog.
any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 2 months ago.

I am so sorry he is unwell and appreciate it must be upsetting for you. Unfortunately, it is a vague and non-specific sign and may indicate a significant issue or a more simple issue. Certainly, given that it is out of character for him I would suggest there is definitely an issue. Panting can often be associated with pain, this pain can be located anywhere in the body from a joint pain/back pain to anal gland impaction to more significant internal disease. The priority is that he is alert, responsive and not collapsed or gasping for air. He should have nice salmon pink gums and not be vomiting or have diarrhoea. I cannot suggest any home remedies to settle him as they may mask the progression of a more significant issue. There are two options for you, if you do not think he will settle and you are going to worry and have an unsettled night then perhaps it is best to get him checked at the ER.

If he is likely to settle and not displaying any of the more critical abnormalities mentioned above, you could get him checked in the morning, but if he were to worsen or new signs develop, get him seen sooner.

I am sorry this is vague advice, but I am sure he will be fine